Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Random Tid Bits Issue #3 - Movie Edition


Hey, there, folks! Time for the weekly installment of Random Tidbits. I like to call Issue #3 the movie edition, as we approach Oscar Time! All the bits and pieces in this issue are loosely if not directly tied to movies! Are you going to watch the Oscars? Check out our Poll Question to vote on Best Picture.

1. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: I managed to catch this over the weekend, and I really, really enjoyed it. The cast is superb. Casey Affleck truly shines in this film in one of the title roles. I would not classify this film as a western, but more of an interesting Bio-Picture set in the failing embers of the Old West. Director Andrew Dominik makes a few mistakes with his approach to the film, but as a whole the third act of the film is really quite breath taking. I definitely recommend this film, if you have not already seen it.

2. Definitely Maybe: Call me a girl, but I think this may have been the best romantic comedy to be made since Love Actually. Coincidentally the same producing team made both films. I had to watch three or ten of these this past weekend due to the fall out from Valentines day, but this film definitely had a solid hook and a very interesting approach to the Modern American love story. Isla Fisher is fantastic in the film, and I could for once finally tolerate Ryan Reynolds.

3. HD-DVD is a Big Fat Loser: I'm really glad I bought an HD-DVD player. Especially since all the major studios finally jumped to Blue Ray and Toshiba announced they are abandoning the product line entirely. I wonder how many players will be on eBay this weekend? So, it looks like format war is over, and we're all finally looking at the future of HD tech in the DVD world. The question remains, will the studios start turning out more titles to Hi-Def? Will they stop making Standard Def DVD's?

No comments: